Once viewed by many as a problem limited to purveyors of high-end luxury goods, today counterfeiting has become a multi-billion dollar criminal activity that affects almost every American industry. While criminals see the production and sale of counterfeit goods as a lucrative, low-risk business model, this illicit activity not only harms U.S. businesses but also puts American consumers at severe risk.
Counterfeit goods may appear identical to the genuine product, however, to save on production costs they are often made from inferior materials and do not perform to the same safety standards. How counterfeit products perform and the safety of the individuals using them are of no concern to the criminals who are selling them–but should be a major concern for everyone else.
- World-wide cross border trade in physical counterfeits alone costs the global economy $250 billion a year.
- 96% of all online pharmacies are operating illegally, many out of compliance with international IP laws that protect the public health and safety.
- In the United States, the domestic value of counterfeit pharmaceutical seizures in FY 2011 rose by more than $11 million, an increase of almost 200%.
- Counterfeits also have the potential to put our military at risk and jeopardize our national security missions, according to two recent reports by the Department of Commerce and the Government Accountability Office.
Can you spot a fake? Here’s what consumers in Times Square told us:
These Dangerous Fakes will shock you:
Do you know how many online pharmacies are legitimate and law-abiding?
Dangerous Fakes you can’t run from:
Would you be able to tell the difference between real and fake?
- Top Ten Tips to Protect Yourself from Dangerous Fakes
- “Getting More Than You Bargained For” Factsheet
- Better Business Bureau: Don’t be Faked Out by Counterfeit Goods
- Faked Out in Times Square
- Somewhere, Carrie Bradshaw is Crying: Fake Louboutins Seized
- Don’t Believe Your Eyes
- Too Legit or Counterfeit?
- Dangerous Fakes Will Shock You
- IP Delivers Safety
- Dangerous Fakes You Wouldn’t Want to Run Into
- Learn more about the problem of counterfeits stealing jobs and harming consumers