By Ashley Mergen
This week, expect temperatures to rise in San Diego as thousands from one of the hottest fields in innovation converge at the International BIO (Biotechnology Industry Organization) Convention here in Southern California. Companies and experts look forward to a jam-packed week of panel discussions, keynotes, and the like—so here we’ve put together the must-do’s and must-see’s for industry experts and policymakers whose responsibility it is to protect their intellectual property:
- Download – Get the BIO Convention app ASAP to view and create your interactive schedule.
- Visit – We here at the GIPC are completely impressed with the country and company pavilions at BIO. They look so great that we’re trying our hand at it this year! Visit the GIPC at Booth 5704 to talk all things intellectual property, learn how economies are charting the course to innovation, and participate (win prizes!) in our fun quiz and picture contest. Tuesday through Thursday, Booth 5704, San Diego Convention Center
- #IamIP – Tweet! The U.S. Chamber’s Global Intellectual Property Center (GIPC) wants to highlight the stories of biotech innovators from around the world. Have you developed a cure for peanut allergies? Or figured out a way to target certain peptides? Tweet @globalipcenter with how IP played a part in your discoveries using the #IamIP hashtag, and you could be featured on our blog, on our Twitter wall at the booth, or win a prize!
- Talk – Don’t feel like tweeting? The GIPC is shooting video interviews of leading innovators. We can help you tell your story. Stop by the GIPC booth and chat us up!
- Meet – On Tuesday, don’t miss the Intellectual Property Meetup at Room 23ABC, which is immediately followed by a discussion with WIPO Director General Francis Gurry. Tuesday, June 24 from 1:30-2:15pm, Room 23ABC, Upper Level
- India – Grab a coffee and get your seat early on Wednesday for what is sure to be a hot panel on “Meeting India’s Biotechnology Potential.” GIPC executive vice president Mark Elliot will join experts in a discussion on India’s challenging IP environment and the innovation opportunities the country could enjoy with a change of course. Wednesday, June 25 from 8:50-9:30am, Room 5A
- Europe Trade – For an insider’s preview to the upcoming EU-U.S. trade agreement (TTIP), don’t miss “TTIP: Can U.S. and EU Lead the Way in Setting New Global Benchmarks for IP,” featuring representatives from AbbVie, EFPIA, and the European Commission. Wednesday, June 25 from 3:00-4:15pm, Room 5A
- TTP – The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Agreement is anticipated to set the new standard for global trading rules. With stakes this high, especially for the IP community, you absolutely can’t miss this panel of experts (including the GIPC). Wednesday, June 25 from 4:30-5:45pm, Room 5A
- Say Goodbye – Don’t waste the last day of BIO! Visit the GIPC’s booth again, grab what’s left of the “Protect Your IP” sunscreen, and say goodbye. We’ll see you next year at BIO 2015!